Your cart is currently empty
Product image slideshow Items
A complex blend of bitters from New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. Kosher. Natural.
A little sweet, nicely bitter and surprisingly fruity. We’ve merged the great bitters of the world to create an aromatic bitter that is useful in such a wide array of drinks.
A complex blend of bitters from New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. Kosher; Natural.
HISTORY: While living in San Francisco in early 2007, Avery and Janet Glasser used high proof spirit and a variety of herbs, peels and spices to create an extract of a traditional Mexican cooking sauce. This extract became the prototype recipe for the Xocolatl Mole Bitters.
ABOUT: The summer of 2010 marked a dramatic rebirth for Bittermens: winding down previous licensing agreements, striking new partnerships, developing new products and most importantly, leasing a commercial kitchen. Today, Bittermens products can be found on almost every continent – we’re still working on Antarctica. Bittermens also consults with bars and restaurants looking to develop signature in-house formulations.
TASTING NOTES: What’s the flavor profile? Extremely complex, but not in a confusing way. It’s a little sweet, nicely bitter and surprisingly fruity. We’ve merged the great bitters of the world to create an aromatic bitter that is useful in such a wide array of drinks.
- From the most classic Aromatic bitters of Venezuela and Trinidad, we created a base that includes gentian, clove, allspice and cinnamon
- From New Orleans style bitters, we blend in angelica and anise seed
- From the iconic Italian Fernet, we fortify the bitterness in a touch of aloe and chicory
- From the Alpine Amaro tradition, we add in chamomile and dandelion
- From the tradition of German digestives, we incorporate cherry bark and licorice
In total, sixteen botanicals make up this unique aromatic offering.
Unlike the major brands, we are not adding in caramel color or any colorants at all (so it’s a golden color). Nor are we adding in any sugar. The sweetness in ours only comes from the licorice root. It’s certified kosher and GMO free. We think you’ll love it.