100% Chardonny from Macon-Villages, Burgundy, France.
HISTORY: The Domaine des Verchères has seen several generations of the Dupuis family. André Dupuis, helped by his two sons, Jean-Christophe and Rémi, works a total of about 27 hectares of vineyards spread over the communes of Mancey and Royer.
ABOUT: Chardonnay is planted in 6.57 hectares of the Domaine's surface area, with parcels located in "En Chavy", "Les Ingrains”, "Sur l' Ouche", "Les Verchères" and "En Paillousin" in Royer, and in "Les Cras du Haut" and "Sur les Devants" in Mancey. 90% of the vineyards are planted with the classic variety of Chardonnay and the remaining 10% are planted with Chardonnay Muscaté. The youngest of the vines are aged 15 years and the oldest 37 years. The parcels are "terre blanche" type clay-limestone (covered in small white pebbles) in Royer and red soils in Mancey. They face southeast at an altitude of about 300m.
VINIFICATION: The harvested grapes are carefully transported to the winery to undergo a quick and very gentle pressing to ensure that the juices run clear. The juices from the end of the pressing are eliminated. Fermentation is temperature controlled (below 20°C) to preserve the aromas. A proportion of the wine ferments in large 300 litre oak vats for 6-8 months. Bottling takes place in the spring following the harvest.
TASTING NOTES: Pale Gold hue with some Green highlights. On the nose, the wine shows intense aromas of White Flowers, Acacia, Elderberry, White Fruit Apples & Pears) & Citrus. The structure on the palate is soft & supple, w/ Mineral tones & flavors of Lemon, Lemon Zest, Green Apple & Pear, w/ hints of Tropical fruits & Herbs. Refreshing, Med. length finish.
FOOD PAIRING: This Bourgogne white will pair well with Cold or Hot Pork dishes (offal sausages), White Meat, Fried Pork & Fish dishes, as well as Fish Cooked in Butter. Crisp and fresh, it is an absolutely lovely match for Crustaceans and Shellfish, and will also pair quite nicely with Salads and Goat Cheese, as well as Soft, Stinky Cheeses.